Saturday, April 01, 2006

No-Bake Black-Bottom Peanut Butter Silk Pie

~ from Vegan With a Vengeance

Verdict: A-

Comments: Again--agar agar, I hate you. Although I didn't make my own crust (I couldn't locate vegan chocolate cookies at my grocery store so I just ended up buying a premade vegan cookie crust which weirdly enough they *did* have), I did make the rest of the pie as the directions stated. My only complaint so far with this cookbook is that a) sometimes the directions aren't as specific as I'd like--in this one, she said the agar agar/water mixture should be reduced down to about 1/3 of a cup after ten minutes of boiling; she says to add this 1/3 cup to the mixture after adding the other 2/3 c. of soy milk, creating 1 cup's-worth of liquids. The problem was that the agar agar made clearly about 2/3 a cup after being boiled for ten minutes, so I had no clue whether to add it all (and risk it being too runny), continue to boil the shit outta it, or add 1/3 of the liquid yielded. I did the latter. b) Also, Isa doesn't specify whether something calls for flakes or powder--exactly the case with the agar agar and, in other recipes, the nutritional yeast. Three tablespoons of agar agar POWDER is completely different than 3 tablespoons of agar agar FLAKES, and this recipe didn't specify. Anyways, end result: a really scrumptious but completely formless pie. It *DID* firm up by the time I had some left-overs yesterday, but it took a very long time to set, and even then, it still was veering towards puddingishness. Tasty tasty though--silken peanutbutter pudding-esque insides topping a choc-filled choc-cookie crust. Mmm mmm. I should be shot for not taking pics of this meal.

No comments: