Sunday, April 30, 2006

Whole-Wheat Pancakes and Fake Sausage Hash



I've had 1/2 cup of wheat germ sitting in my fridge for over a month (courtesy of the lovely Ms. Lantz), so I finally got my ass in gear and tracked down a recipe so that I could use it already. It was a toss-up between some peanut-butter wheat germ cookies and the wheat germ pancakes I finally settled on. (I like hearty breakfasts on Sunday lately.)

WHOLE-WHEAT PANCAKES:

Anyways, I whipped these up using vegan substitutes, and despite my worries about them being too doughy, they turned out quite tasty and hearty. As I've said before, I like my pancakes girthy, and they definitely had that going for them. And they were a tad bit salty which I like as well. I also whipped together a blueberry-maple syrup that was mmm mm good: just use one part maple syrup to 2 parts blueberries, boil over low heat, and once boiled, blend them up (I left a little bit of the blueberries chunky because I likes them like that).

RECIPE: Here (you can use regular wheat flour instead of the pastry flour, and find your vegan buttermilk substitute HERE)

VERDICT: A

FAKE SAUSAGE HASH:

On the side, I whipped up some of my very own sausage hash. I fried up half of a diced onion, a diced red pepper, and some rosemary with a bit of olive oil. Then I tossed (or maybe more aptly SMOOSHED) in some Gimme Lean fake-sausage). The fake-sausage is a bit messy to handle if you're aiming for crumbles--it seems a bit more geared towards making sausage patties due to its stickiness--but just toss it in and break it up some with a fork as it cooks and starts to harden. This was *damn* good, especially with the fresh rosemary from Rosie my rosemary plant. *And* it's not too bad for you, especially compared to regular sausage.

VERDICT: A

So despite my later frustrating escapades with baking, this ended up being a damn tasty breakfast.

No comments: