Sunday, April 09, 2006

Black Bean Mango Crepes w/ Roasted Red Potatoes



Verdict: C+

Comments: Upon being told by a fellow vegan that mangos were in season at the moment, I nabbed myself some at the WSM this weekend and decided to try experimenting with them. I used the crepes recipe from The Garden of Vegan (which ended up working out real nice, despite being eggless). I then sauteed half of a diced Spanish onion in a skillet, 1 diced jalapeno, and then threw in a small can of black beans. I then simmered it all in a small amount of apple juice. In the meantime, I boiled some cubed red potatoes, threw them in a baking dish with some diced onions, olive oil, rosemary, season salt, and paprika and baked them for 20 minutes to have as a side. Once the crepes were all cooked up, I stuffed each crepe with the black-bean mix, threw in a hearty batch of mango, tossed some shredded cilantro inside, rolled 'em and cowed down. They were not as joyously flavorful as I would've liked--I didn't want to add too many spices to the beans because I feared overpowering the mangos. But the mangos, in fact, ended up overpowering the beans. So next time, I suspect I will make them fiery and spicy, to counteract the sweetness of the mangos. The crepe recipe was very good--I just need to work on the insides.

No comments: