Friday, March 31, 2006

Monterey Jack Uncheese

~ from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

Verdict: F

Comments: Agar agar has become my arch-enemy. A very disappointing follow-up to the Colby Uncheese from last week, except this time white instead of orangey. Equally gelatinous and I followed the directions/measurements even more carefully after last week's mishap. I've come to realize, however, that even were it NOT so spam-like in its gelatinosity, I still don't think I'd be able to get enthused about it since it has a very overpowering and pungent cashew-flavoring to it. I think this may be the end of my block-uncheese experimentation--time to move on to ooey gooey fake-grilled cheeses for next weekend. Not to say that all the block-cheez recipes are bad--a vegan friend of mine made the brie, and it was fantastique, though I suspect this is partially because cashews are just a sub-ingredient on this one instead of the main ingredient (and due to her mad cooking skillz).

No comments: