Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Eggplant Paprikash


Hmmm.

Upon tackling a blog entry about SusanV's *DIVINE* fricking eggplant paprikash, I've realized that paprikash doesn't exactly invite a wealth of humor in talking about it.

So I preface my foré into paprikash humor with the following recommendation: This is a really really good recipe. (Thanks, Live It Up Vegan! for bringing it to my attention on your lovely bloggie blog.) I heart a good paprikash (it's the Hungarian blood in me), and this one does the trick and does it well. The eggplant is like sexy svelte buttery velvet after you've simmered it just right. And the sauce is rich and decadent, and nicely tops a tasty wide noodle. I *did* toy with the recipe a little, simply because vegan sour cream happened to be on sale at my grocery store this weekend, so anything asterisked has been altered from the original recipe.

And now the paprikash jokes:

Yo mama is so fat that she eats eggplant paprikash!

A man walks into a paprikash. *Ouch*

Why did the paprikash turn red? It saw the salad dressing.

Please, try to control your laughter, lest you get fired for being disruptive at work.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin wedges

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced

  • 3 T. paprika

  • 1/2 t. red pepper (optional)--I left this out since I didn't have it*

  • 1 t. salt (optional)

  • 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. eggplant (about 2 medium) cut into 1-inch cubes

  • 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced (I used red and green)

  • 1 c. vegetable broth

  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted)

  • 1/8 t. Liquid Smoke flavoring

  • 1/2 to 3/4 c. vegan sour cream (or you can use the tofu sour cream recipe below)*--I ended up using 3/4 c. of sour cream simply because I think my eggplants may have been large rather than medium

Tofu Sour Cream:

  • 1/2 package (about 6 ounces) lite silken tofu

  • 1 T. lemon juice

  • 1/2 T. cashew butter or tahini

  • 1/4 t. salt (optional)


DIRECTIONS

If using the tofu sour cream recipe, blend all of its ingredients until completely smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.

In a large, non-stick saucepan, sauté the onion in a small amount of water until it begins to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper (optional), and stir for one minute. Add the salt, eggplant, peppers, vegetable broth, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the eggplant is tender, about 15-20 minutes.

When the eggplant is done, check the seasonings and add more salt if necessary. Stir in the Liquid Smoke (optional) and the sour cream, and cook for another minute, until warmed through. Serve over pasta, rice, or dumplings.

Serves 4-8 (this made a BUTTLOAD for me--left me with dinners for over a week--so I think it'll depend on how big your eggplants are).


(Original recipe from FatFree Vegan)

No comments: