Thursday, January 04, 2007

Invisible Peanut Butter Squares


(See--they're invisible!)


Last week, for the holidays, I made some peanut butter squares from scratch. Somehow, despite having taken pictures of them, and despite having uploaded them to the computer, I have managed to lose them. Which is actually somehow fitting seeing as I originally made the PB squares for a holiday party I had at my place at which I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO PUT THEM OUT. So yeah. They're like INVISIBLE peanut butter squares, so how could I possibly post a picture of them really? *Clearing throat and adjusting tie*

Anywho, here be the recipe, sans pictures. I wasn't sure I liked them all that much initially, but after wolfing down like 53 of them, I decided I did after all. And my mom did as well, apparently--she ate like three of them in record time on X-mas day.

The nice thing about them is that they aren't overly sweet. And they are very simple to make. So enjoy.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 2/3 c. vegan graham crackers, ground

  • 1/4 c. sugar

  • 1/4 c. plus 2 T. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine

  • 1 jar of natural peanut butter (18 oz. or so)

  • 1 c. powdered sugar

  • 1 1/4 cup Rice Krispies

  • 12 oz. bag of vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
Mix the first three ingredients together. Firmly press into the bottom of an 8x8 cake pan.

Place the jar's worth of peanut butter in a food processor. Gradually add the powdered sugar while pulsing until the mixture is thick and stiff. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Begin adding the Rice Krispies to the mix, mashing them in with your (clean) hands as you go until all of it is mixed in. Spread on top of the crust and press firmly into the pan.

Melt the 12 oz. bag of vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips in whichever way you prefer (double-boiler, microwave, low-heat pot on the stove). Pour (or smooth--it will be kind of thick) the chocolate over the top of the peanut butter layer until covered.

Freeze for a handful of hours or so (or overnight) and serve frozen. (You can serve them unfrozen as well, but they retain the firmness better frozen and don't take long to come to room temperature.)

Serves about 16 small (but rich) pieces.

No comments: