Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tortilla and Tomato Black Bean Soup


For some reason I've been stockpiling cans of Muir Glen Organic's Fire Roasted Tomatoes as though the fate of the world depended upon it--as though I'd be able to survive in the glow of the nuclear holocaust as long as I have at least three cans around when the bomb drops. (I actually blame some of you readers for this because I keep seeing the damned things mentioned on people's blogs and subsequently end up having a Homer-esque "MMMMM. Arghlghlghlghlhgl" moment every time, which is why I finally just sucked it up and bought some to try finally. And then some more. And then even a bit more--they were on sale, for pete's sake, how could I not??)

So yeah, you're gonna notice that somehow several of my recipes this week incorporate these fire roasted tomatoes. I blame you.

The first recipe I used 'em for this weekend was a Corn Tortilla Tomato Soup recipe that I stole and then modified slightly from The Vegetarian Times. I realized after I'd made the recipe exactly according to the VT that one of my weird food aversions is that when it comes to soup, typically there needs to be a lot going on there. If it's just broth and, say, noodles, or just broth and that's it, I no likey. And for some reason, tomatoes, onions, and mushed up tortillas didn't meet my soup-requirements. Translation: I don't know that I could've joyously eaten the soup all week without at least a little bit of tweaking. So I did--by adding a can of drained, rinsed, and food-processed black beans to the recipe.

*Phew* Relief.

The addition of the black beans made the soup edible--though of course I will note that most of you other NORMAL people out there would've probably enjoyed the original recipe just fine.

Either which way, it's damn simple to whip up, and I recommend, despite the fact that my fella ate a bite at lunch the other day and exclaimed "It tastes like fruit salad!" To which I replied, "Um, yeah, we're breaking up."

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 T. olive oil

  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped (about 1.5 c.)

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 32-oz can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes

  • 2 c. water

  • 3 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into quarters

  • 3 T. chopped cilantro

  • 1 t. hot sauce (optional)

  • 1 can black beans, drained (optional)

  • Vegan sour cream (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute 7 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute one minute more.

Add tomatoes, 2 c. water, and tortillas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until tortillas have broken down into tiny pieces.

While simmering, reserve about 1/4 of your can of black beans. Take the rest and puree them (in a food processer or with one of them hand-held thingies--if you have trouble because of their denseness, add a scoop or two of your soup, and then puree).

After soup has been simmering for 15, add your reserved and pureed black beans. Stir in the cilantro and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper.

Serve topped with vegan sour cream. Enjoy.

Serves between 4-6

(Modified from the Vegetarian Times recipe on p. 85 of the February 2007 issue.)

Oh, and be forewarned--on the second day, it kinda looks like baby throw-up. Mmmmm, baby throw-up. Arhglghlghlghl.

No comments: