Monday, September 15, 2008

Rum Cashew Fudge



I'm normally not one to chuckle about dead animals/insects/etc., but the irony of the following story made it difficult not to find it at least a LITTLE bit humorous.

I decided this past weekend to whip up some whiskey peanut fudge for our Cleveland Veganz September outting (go check out pics!). So I'm standing in my kitchen, melting chocolate chips in my microwave after having just whisked together the powdered sugar and whiskey for the fudge, and I catch a glimpse of the powdered-sugar/whiskey mixture out of the corner of my eye, noting that there a couple of black flecks in the mix. So I'm like, Hm. What the heck? Did I not clean the bowl out all the way? Now, I'm not the best of dishcleaners, granted, but to set all your minds at ease, what had been in the bowl previously WAS actually chocolate as well, which is why I wasn't overly-concerned. Anyways, I leaned in nonetheless, to pick the little black flecks out with my finger only to get a closer look and realize that they're not chocolate bits, they're BROWN ANTS!

Apparently my bag of powdered sugar was not closed all the way, and back when I was having the ant problem, a bunch of them ants got a wee bit too excited and climbed into the powdered sugar, never to emerge again. Which really is a bummer for those ants (though I guess there are worse ways to go than drowning in sugar), but struck me as RIDICULOUSLY ironic seeing as, of all the events I could've been making fudge for, it was a vegan event where accidental ants would've not just been gross but would've gone against everything the event itself was about.

So yeah: I almost made ant fudge and served it to a bunch of vegans. GO ME!

The GOOD thing that came out of this is that I ran out of whiskey, so after getting a new batch of powdered sugar, I decided to use rum and cashews instead of whiskey and peanuts. And I've gotta say, I think I might've actually liked the combo quite a bit more.

The whiskey fudge is most DEFINITELY good good shit, but it is kind of gruff and the kind of fudge that would EASILY get pissed off at you in a bar setting and break a bottle over your skull. The RUM fudge on the other hand had a bit more suaveness behind it. It's the kind of fudge that would lean over to you at the bar (in an entirely non-sleazy way), place its fingertips lightly on your wrist, and whisper flirtatious words into your ear, nearly touching you with its lips so that it can be heard over the bar-noise, and making you tingle at the feel of its warm breath against your neck.

I didn't take a picture of the new fudge, since it pretty much looked like the other fudge. So just use your imagination and picture that the peanuts are actually cashews and the whiskey is rum. Do it.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 T. rum

  • 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar

  • 1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips (melt them and cool them down after measuring the amount)

  • 1 c. cashews (chop them after measuring the amount)

DIRECTIONS

prepare an 8×8 baking pan with some parchment paper for minimal cleanup.

whisk your rum together with the sugar. throw in cashews. add chocolate, stir well.

pour in your prepared baking pan, grab an extra piece of parchment paper and press down with a spatula [or your not-too-warm hands] on top of the extra parchment to level the fudge.

place in fridge for at least a couple of hours.

remove from pan, remove parchment paper and cut your fudge the way it’s never been cut before. the size of the pieces is up to you!

(Original whiskey-fudge recipe from Have Cake, Will Travel)

No comments: