Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Whiskey Peanut Fudge


I don't know whether it's technically against work-policy to be nibbling on these booze-laced goodies, but right now I DON'T CARE!!! <--- That's no doubt the whiskey talking.

Anyways, I whipped these up on the weekend so that I could take them with me to school a) in honor of St. Patty's Day, and b) because we had two sets of serious, hardcore, ass-whooping, last-semester midterms yesterday, and I figured if C (the only other person in both my classes) and I consumed enough of these during our lunch-break, we'd find ourselves going into our second midterm MUCH more optimistically. Unfortunately I left them at home in the morning.

So I instead dragged them out with me to the bar last night to celebrate the fact that I WHOOPED my motherf-ing midterms' ASSES.

98% and 97%, babies! How you like THEM apples?!?!

Anyways, I really dig these. But I must admit: I found myself thinking that they're not exactly the consistency of fudge. At least in my fudge-experience. They're more like crumbly chocolate. Then again, maybe the whiskey fumes made me mess 'em up slightly. It's hard to say.

Regardless: They are still damn tasty. Everyone who chowed down on one yesterday loved them. Especially the fact that they're pretty much BURSTING with booze. And they're SOOOOOO very beyond easy to whip up. Which makes them a perfect party-food.

Anyways, a few recommendations: If you're a lightweight *couLAME-ASSgh*, definitely cut back a tiny bit on the whiskey and maybe sub in some water or something, because these babies are "wobbling down the street with only one shoe on and shouting nonsensical insults at passing cars"-booze-laden. I mean, they've got nearly 1/2 c. of booze in them. And that's quite a bit. All that being said, I like 'em that way. So I wouldn't change a thing.

Other tip: DO chop them nuts up pretty well. The bigger the nuts (teehee) the better the chance your chunk of fudge will crumble around the edges. Because where there's nuts, there's not so much fudge-glue going on. I didn't chop mine up because I was being lazy, and they were rather crumbly. (You can see the pock-marks in the pic. You can also see a random cat-hair which I ever so grouchily noticed only AFTER taking these pics. But did I go back and try to figure out what piece of fudge it was stuck to? Heck no. You eat my food, you risk ingesting a bit o' cat hair, you know what I'm saying?)

Also: I couldn't for the life of me find dry roasted, unsalted peanuts. All of the dry-roasted peanuts at my grocery store were salted. And all of them had gelatin in 'em. (Yeah, if you didn't already know that, always double-check any coated-nuts you buy, because many of them have gelatin in them.) So I just settled on some regular salted peanuts, and they worked mighty fine. I suspect the dry-roastiness would compliment the whiskey-flavoring, but sometimes you just have to make do.

So happy belated St. Patty's day, boozers. Now toss on those sunglasses, take a couple aspirins, and drag your hungover ass out to the store so you can nurse yourself back to sober a LITTLE less painfully by nibbling on these the rest of the day.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 T. whiskey

  • 1 1/4 c. icing/powdered sugar

  • 1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips (melt them and cool them down after measuring the amount)

  • 1 c. dry roasted, unsalted peanuts -or- 1 c. salted plain peanuts (chop them after measuring the amount)

DIRECTIONS

prepare an 8×8 baking pan with some parchment paper for minimal cleanup.

whisk your whiskey [ha] together with the sugar. throw in peanuts. add chocolate, stir well.

pour in your prepared baking pan, grab an extra piece of parchment paper and press down with a spatula [or your not-too-warm hands] on top of the extra parchment to level the fudge.

place in fridge for at least a couple of hours.

remove from pan, remove parchment paper and cut your fudge the way it’s never been cut before. the size of the pieces is up to you!

(Original recipe from the very foxy Celine at Have Cake, Will Travel--pleasedonthurtme)

No comments: