Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mexican Frisbees!


                        from Happyveganface


Yet one more food that doesn't take well to being photographed.

Woot motherfucking woot.

So yeah: that's a kidney bean, spinach, & potato "quesadilla." Ugly from the top, slightly more attractive from the side.

I made these a couple weeks ago and have been lazy and keep forgetting to post them.

As I was making them, I thought to myself: goddamn this is a long process for quesadillas. Even moreso when (because I still refuse to read recipes the whole way through before actually cooking them--yes, I am a fucktard) I realized that this makes ONLY TWO QUESADILLAS. At which point I was like, Um, seriously? (It was a total valley-girl moment: me in the kitchen, pan in hand, other hand on hip, head cocked, bitchy-pinched-face, and "Um, SERRRRRiously??") So yeah: point being that you should double the recipe so that the pay-off doesn't seem so minimal. Not that the pay-off IS minimal (because these were actually quite good after all was said and done--I was feeling sassy about the fact that they were taking so long and was thinking there's no way in hell a quesadilla could redeem itself from my valley-girl bitchiness, but they actually do--so rock on, my little happy vegan faces!). But because seriously: 1 pot, 2 skillets, and ovenware? That's a lot of cooking for two mexican frisbees, my friends.

Nonetheless: double them and try them out. Because they really were quite good.

I feel like this has been the most boring post ever.

So I'm gonna throw in a picture of a mexican wrestler.



Hopefully that makes up for it.

Also, my Spanish kind of sucks, so I'm enjoying the thought that LUCHA LIBRE means MILK BOOK. Which is like the BEST NAME EVER for a mexican wrestler. The more I think about it, the more envious I am that the name has been taken, because when I begin my illustrious career as a mexican wrestler, WTF AM I NOW GOING TO NAME MYSELF??? (Suggestions are welcome.)



INGREDIENTS:

Bean Filling:
  • 2 c. cooked kidney beans

  • 1 green pepper, finely diced

  • 1 medium onion, finely diced

  • 1/2 small jalapeno, minced

  • 1 t. cumin

  • 1 t. chili powder

  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper (optional)

  • 2 t. olive oil

Potatoes:

  • 2 t. olive oil

  • 3 small russet potatoes, peeled & diced (or 1 large one)

  • 1/2 t. garlic powder

  • 1/2 t. onion powder

The rest:

  • 1 c. salsa

  • 4 small whole wheat tortillas (I actually used four large regular tortillas--TAKE THAT!)

  • 1 c. fresh spinach

  • 1/2 c. salsa verde (or 1/2 c. of the salsa from above if you are too cheap to buy more of a different salsa)


DIRECTIONS

put the diced potatoes in the medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the potatoes – boil water and cook until they’re almost done (don’t over cook ‘em). drain and set aside. (we usually cook ours for about 8-10 minutes)

heat 2 tsp olive oil in the small skillet on medium high and add in the boiled potatoes. cook until they start to brown and then add in the garlic & onion powder and mix it all in to distribute the seasonings over the potatoes. cook for another 2 minutes. remove from heat and set aside.

in the large skillet heat up the 2 tsp olive oil on medium high. add in onions, jalapenos, and green pepper. saute until they begin to brown (about 5-8 minutes). add in kidney beans & spices. reduce heat to medium and cook for about 2-4 minutes more. remove from heat - then smash up the kidney bean mix a little bit with your spatula or a fork.

spray each pie dish (or your cookie sheet) with a little oil cooking spray. place a tortilla in the bottom of each dish. put a little bean mix on top of the bottom tortillas, then add on some potatoes, half the spinach (just dividing the spinach between both "quesadillas" here), and some more bean mix. top your "quesadilla" fillings with another tortilla and then top each of those final tortillas with half of the salsa verde. [I actually topped mine with the 1 c. of salsa, 'cause I couldn't initially figure out where the hell that came into the recipe, though now I'm thinking it's an end-garnish. but anyways--though it still tasted good, I'd recommend NOT doing what I did, simply because it makes for a soggy quesadilla.]

cook for 10-25 minutes on 350 degrees (no need to preheat). remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes. top with fresh salsa, or anything else you super love on quesadillas, (jarred salsa should taste great, too) and enjoy!

(from Happy Vegan Face)

No comments: