Friday, April 04, 2008

Caribbean Black Bean & Quinoa Salad


Short and sweet today. ("That's what she said!" Oh man, I can't wait for that show to start up again. Anyways...)

My friend P rocks. I would totally have her babies, if she was a lesbian and I was a lesbian. But alas. WE HAVE BEEN FOILED BY NATURE! Anyways, every once in a while she invites me over on a weekday and cooks dinner for me. (I have yet to return the favor but plan on it. Soon. You hear me, P?!?!) I am so very happy that she recently moved to the area--as she said a month or two ago, "Since I moved here, I think we've hung out more in two weeks than all the time we've hung out previously put together." (She said it a bit more eloquently and grammatically suavely though. And also while batting her eyelashes at me and licking her lips seductively or epileptically or maybe a bit of both).

Anyways, having her in the neighborhood pleases me because she appreciates a sense of community the way I appreciate a sense of community. For example, for a long while, I've been wanting to do a montly rotation of Vegan Dinner Nights with a couple other friends in the neighborhood--I like that sense of community and sharing, especially since I love to cook. But of course, that never seems to pan out. Luckily P is weird like me and enjoys that kind of shit (which means we have to start doing this, just the two of us, P, and maybe inviting a few other worthies once in a while too--how 'bout it?). So it's really nice to have someone say to me, Hey, how 'bout coming over this week and I'll cook you some quinoa?

She also shares my fiendish hatred of raw onions. I mean, she gets me. She really gets me.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'M GLAD YOUR IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, P! *tearing up a little and then throwing up a little just to diffuse the mushiness of this moment*

Now to the point of all this: she whipped up this quinoa dish for me last week, and it was quite delicious. Delicious enough that I overate it and had a stomachache when I got home.

It is simple. It is tasty. It is good for you. And it will make you gassy! Hurray for gas!

(Oh, and the original recipe uses rice, but P got all creative and used quinoa instead. So I'm putting the quinoa version below.)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil

  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

  • 1 T. Dijon mustard

  • 1 t. ground cumin

  • 1 t. minced garlic

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • 2.5 c. cooked quinoa (about 1 cup raw, I'm guessing)

  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

  • 3/4 c. chopped red bell pepper

  • 3/4 c. chopped yellow bell pepper

  • 1/2 c. chopped scallions

DIRECTIONS

Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, cumin and garlic in a medium bowl until well blended.

Throw all other ingredients in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to moisten.

Season with salt and pepper

(May be made 6 hours ahead, though it tastes yummiest when warm! Cover and refrigerate)

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: