Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sweet & Heart-y Winter Pesto Gnocchi


I am so lazy.

And senile.

I am so lazy.

And senile.

(Get it? BAHAHAHAHAHA. Mother of god do I crack my shit up.)

Anyways, that's why I'm dragging ass when it comes to posting recipes.

Like this one for example.

I forget how I made it. <--- senile

I wrote it down somewhere, but I forget where I wrote it down. <--- senile

I could go home and try to find it, but I won't. <--- lazy

I give you the general gist below.

Urban Vegan's Winter Pesto recipe is exact though.

And I'm pretty certain the other crappola is close to exact as well.

All in all I was pleased with this recipe. It was pretty to look at. And it was sweet and flavorful.

And I was surprised by the winter pesto itself. Granted, spinach is no sexy sumptious basil, but it makes for a surprisingly tasty (and healthy) pesto.

However, using store-bought gnocchi reminded of how much store-bought gnocchi sucks in comparison to the real thing.

So if you're lazy, you can use the storebought shit. <--- lazy

Otherwise, make your own, for god's sake. It's so much better.

Otherwise, make your own, for god's sake. It's so much better. <--- senile



WINTER PESTO



(This pesto pic looks like it
should be accompanied by a
harmony of angels' voices)


INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 c.s fresh organic spinach (or arugula), packed

  • 1/2 c. + 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil

  • 6 cloves garlic

  • 1/2 c. walnuts (or pine nuts, or a mixture)

  • 1/4 t. salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste

  • Nutritional yeast (optional--I tossed in a T. or so)

DIRECTIONS

Place all ingredients in food processor. Process 'til smooth, scraping sides of processor as needed

Makes about 1 1/2 cups pesto

(Pesto recipe from Urban Vegan)




SWEET & HEARTY WINTER PESTO GNOCCHI

INGREDIENTS:

  • 16 oz. gnocchi (fresh or store-bought--Gia Russa Potato Gnocchi is vegan), cooked

  • 2 red peppers, roasted and sliced

  • 1 small jar/can quartered artichoke hearts, drained (I can't remember the size, maybe 8-oz?)

  • 1/4 to 1/2 c. winter pesto (depending on how pesto-y you like it)

DIRECTIONS

Throw your (hopefully still-warm) cooked gnocchi in a large serving bowl. Add sliced roasted red peppers, artichokes, and winter pesto. Stir. Serve.

(You could either serve this heated or at room temperature. I threw my pesto into the microwave for a few minutes before tossing it in with everything else.)

Serves about 4.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband made this tonight for dinner...yum! The roasted red peppers and artichokes were a great match for the pesto. Thanks for the great recipe.