Monday, August 14, 2006

Avocado Sorbet


RECIPE: from Astray.com

A couple weekends ago, the lovely Dorklepork made us some vegan avocado ice cream when we went to hang out at her place. It was so divinely rich and tasty that it inspired me to try fiddling with something sweet and avocado-y on my own. However, I don't have an ice cream maker, so when I stumbled across this recipe for avocado sorbet, I couldn't pass it up.

I've grown horribly aware (and disturbed by) the amount of corn syrup in what we eat on a daily basis (thanks to The Omnivore's Dilemma and Peter Singer's newest book), so I've been trying to cut down on my consumption of it. However, as you'll see, this recipe calls for corn syrup. I'm not quite sure how or what to substitute in for corn syrup in order to make this a bit less processed and, well, corn syrupy, but I'd like to figure it out for the next time I make this. (So if you have any suggestions, please let me know.)

Despite the corniness of the ingredients, this ended up being some damn good sorbet. It's not overwhelmingly avocado-ish (for those of you who aren't huge fans)--it actually tastes more like a lime sorbet with a hint of avocado. But the avocado gives a luxuriousness to this sorbet that would probably be lacking in other sorbet recipes. And for those of you who like avocados, you're gonna dig this shit.

I served this with some slivers of mango, but really any accompanying fruit will work.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 c. vegan sugar

  • 1 c. Light corn syrup

  • 2 c. Water

  • 1 t. Grated lime peel

  • 3 Avocados; seeded, peeled and mashed

  • 2 T. Lemon juice

  • 1 T. Lime juice

DIRECTIONS:

Toss the sugar, corn syrup, and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the lime peel. Blend avocados, lemon, and lime juice in food processor until smooth. Add cooled sugar mixture; blend until thoroughly combined. Pour into 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan or 2 smaller pans so depth is about 1/2 inch. Freeze 1 hour. Remove sorbet from freezer, beat 2 to 3 minutes until light and creamy (I tossed it back in the food processor). Pour back into pan; cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Serve sorbet with fruit or eat on its own--it's damn good either way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Making sorbets on a daily basis is part of my job (I'm a pastry chef), and never use corn syrup. You can use regular white sugar in place of it. Whenever making a sorbet, use simple syrup (one part suger, one part water)...there is no need to use processed foods. Hope I helped :o)

Lindy Loo said...

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to try making this again in the spring with sugar this time!