Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Think I Could Turn and Live with Animals...

As most of you have probably noticed, I don't often discuss the philosophy behind my veganism on this blog. It's not for lack of wanting, but there's something to be said about sticking to just my potty-mouthed, hyper-sexualized recipe-rants so as to not alienate non-vegan readers (while also sneakily giving them non-confrontational reasons to contemplate "The Dark Side").

And despite the fact that I smack-talk and joke and filth it up and typically stay away from any vegan seriousness as much as humanly possible on this blog, trust me--veganism and animal rights are issues that are very dear to me, that I take very seriously, that make me feel so very heavy somedays, that can bring me to tears, and I have LOTS of thoughts on the matter (I was a philosophy major, for pete's sake).

I read a ton about veganism and animal rights issues (see my sidebar for some suggested readings if you're looking to become more well-versed), and in my head, I've crafted a solid argument for veganism from every side of the debate: from the ethical to the emotional to the environmental to the health-issue-related. And I've discussed various veg-related topics at various times on my regular blog.

So today, for your reading pleasure, I offer you a variety of links to my ramblings about various veg-related issues as posted on my regular blog.

Most of the links are to posts that were written a while ago, so some of them also bear witness to the evolution of my views on animal rights over the past few years (one such example is my adamant assertion that I would never date a meat-eater, a viewpoint which my current relationship has completely demolished). And most of you will stand in agreement with me on many of the views represented below. BUT some of the links may surprise you, as I have a fairly strong (and surprisingly atypical) opinion on topics such as vegan cats and freeganism.

So enjoy! And veganmofo!



The Whys of My Veganism:


Freeganism:


Peter Singer:


Vegan Cats:

No comments: