Thursday, May 01, 2008

Lower-Fat Banana Bread

                         from Veganomicon

Let's just say that I think I ate FOUR slices of this on Tuesday. Not one. Not two. Not three. But four. (Technically, I lost count after two, but I think that might've just been because I was so horrified with myself that I suppressed any and all information relevant to the disgusting quantity of banana bread I'd just consumed.)

Needless to say, I really really liked this recipe. I ended up only using 2 smaller bananas, but it was WONDERFULLY moist and flavorful. And I added in semi-sweet chocolate chips (which of course de-lower-fattened it, but I'm sorry--chocolate and bananas rock the hell OUT).

I have to say, despite past Veganomicon failures, as a cookbook, it is an undeniable score in the way of dessert recipes. The ones I've made thus far have been definite favs.

And banana bread? Well, I always associate it with old ladies and saggy granny-panties and powdery-smelling wigs and slightly moth-bally aprons. (Which, yes, is probably slightly judgmental on my part. But SUCK IT.) But THIS banana bread, well, it was all shiny motorcycles and bouncing through the air on a trampoline and skinny-dipping and tattoos. (Yes, I am ALSO puzzled by what my brain just came up with as the antithesis of old-ladyishness. But again: SUCK IT.) So yeah: try it. You'll like it.

Oh, and a random shout out to What the Hell Does a Pinkhaired Girl Eat? I dig how she labels her pics, SO I'M PLAGIARIZING IT! All in love, babies. All in love. (Now go check out her blog.)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 large or 3 small very ripe bananas (I used only 2 small and it still came out fine)

  • 1/4 c. applesauce

  • 1/4 c. canola oil

  • 1/2 c. sugar

  • 2 T. molasses

  • 2 c. all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 t. baking soda

  • 1 t. ground cinnamon

  • 1/4 t. ground nutmeg

  • 1/2 t. salt

  • Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I probably used 1/2 c. maybe? I didn't measure it)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan (or muffin tins)

In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas really well. Add sugar, applesauce, oil, and molasses, and whisk briskly to incorporate.

Sift in the flour, baking soda, spices, salt. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the wet/dry ingredients are just combined. Fold in chocolate chips/nuts if using.

Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 45-50 min. The top should be lightly browned and a knife inserted should be clean.

Remove from oven and invert onto a cooling rack. Flip right side up and cool.

Note: If making muffins, cook for 18 minutes!

(Recipe from Veganomicon, posted HERE)

No comments: