Thursday, May 29, 2008

Modular Pakistani Kima

                                    from The Urban Vegan


Curries are totally the Chewbaccas of the food photography world, let me tell you.


(Curry)


(Chewbacca)



They're not real attractive. They don't photograph well. They have a tendency to blurt out weird noises for no good reason. They're a strange strange thing, curries.



Despite all that, this is a nice solid curry recipe, even more brilliant because it lets you build your own. Got a taste for peas? Toss them in. Hate peas but dig carrots? Hook yourself up. It's cool like that.

And damn does it make a LOT of curry. I'm going to be eating it for at least a week.

The only changes I made to the recipe were a) I had to double the cooking time (because my damn potatoes just REFUSED to cook), and b) before serving, I tossed about 1/2 of the curry into my food processor and processed it--I'm a fan of the type of curry where you kind of peer at it, wondering WTF exactly is in it, but then throw all caution to the wind and dig in. I've noted both adjustments in the recipe below.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large onion chopped

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced

  • 3 T. olive oil

  • Pick one: 1 box LightLife grounds, 1 16-oz. can beans of your choice or 1 c. texturized vegetable protein (I used 1 can of chickpeas, drained)

  • Pick one: 2 c. chopped kale, spinach, or mustard greens (I used spinach)

  • Pick one: 1 c. peas or chopped carrots (I used peas)

  • 1 c. water or vegetable stock

  • 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes

  • 2 potatoes, diced small

  • 2 to 4 T curry powder (I think I used 3)

  • 1 dash each of cinnamon, ginger and turmeric

  • Salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot over medium-low heat, saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add your green of choice (eg, kale) and saute about 5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer, covered, 25-35 minutes until all vegetables (especially potatoes) are soft. (My cooking time actually took about 60 minutes+. I had a hard time getting the potatoes to soften. So basically, just cook it until you've got the potatoes at the consistency you'd like.) Curry should not be too soupy. If it's too watery, remove lid and cook another 5 minutes. (Optional: toss half of your curry into a food processor--or use on of those hand-held processor thingies--and process it. Add back to the pot.)

(Recipe from The Urban Vegan)

1 comment:

Moorcroft Debt Recovery said...

The food is very delicious. I will try to make this at home. Thanks for the recipe. By: Moorcroft Debt Recovery