Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cooking Out and Erin McKeown


This past Saturday, my friend Peppermint came over to go with us to see the very awesome and delectable Erin McKeown play at a nearby venue, but not before all three of us decided that we were gonna cook-out, despite the foreboding weather reports of massive thunderstorms (which never really graced my area, thankfully). Peppermint brought me boobs and Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper dip and pita chips to share. E made some black-bean concoction from Vegan Family Favorites (whose name I am not quite sure of), and I made veggie-burgers and fruit salad.

The veggie burgers were some extremely protein-rich, hearty ones from Vegan Ventures, and man were they good. I followed her directions to a t, except to substitute in fresh parsley and fresh oregano. As Kate said, they hold together really well on the grill, which is always a perk for veggie burgers. The only thing that threw me a bit was the amount of veggie-burgers it was supposed to yield: I followed the directions accurately, and yet I only had enough for 3 large patties and one slightly less buxom one. But then again: maybe I just suck.

I definitely recommend these though. They're not too complicated or involved to whip up, they are packed with protein, and they are really damn flavorful. So check them out.

KATE'S NEW AND IMPROVED BLACK BEAN BURGERS


(BEFORE)


(AFTER)


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/4 c. grated onion (I used red)*

  • 1/4 c. grated red pepper

  • 3 garlic cloves, minced

  • 1/4 t. each of dried red pepper, cumin and chili powder

  • 1 t. each of oregano and basil (or 1 T. each, fresh)*

  • 1 T. parsley

  • 1/2 c. coarsely chopped almonds

  • 1/2 c. coarsely chopped sunflower seeds

  • 1 t. sesame oil

  • 1 15.5 oz. can black beans

  • 2 tablespoons of water

  • 3/4 c. of wheat germ

DIRECTIONS

After grating the red pepper and onion set them aside in a medium bowl. Combine the garlic, spices, almonds, sunflower seeds, and oil in a food processor and pulse until texture resembles bread crumbs. Transfer mixture to the bowl. Put the black beans and water in the food processor and process until smooth. Add this mixture to the bowl along with the wheat germ. Mix (preferably with your hands) completely. Separate into five balls and shape into patties. Make sure the patties are not too thin or they will fall apart. Grill for 8 minutes on each side, or until slightly browned. Enjoy with your favorite burger fixings.

Serves: 4-5

(Original recipe HERE)

* * * * * * *


On the side, I whipped up a very basic and simple berry-salad since raspberries and strawberries were dirt-cheap at the market and kept batting their big fat eyelashes at me all seductively every time I walked by. Fruit salads are always just, well, sorta fruit salads. But I'll share my recipe anyways--the mint made a nice addition, so if nothing else, at least you can take that idea with you.

BERRY NIPPULAR BERRY SALAD



INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 sm. container strawberries, rinsed and sliced

  • 1 sm. container raspberries, rinsed

  • Juice from 1/2 an orange

  • About 1 T. or so of mint, slivered

DIRECTIONS

Toss all your berries in a bowl. Drizzle the orange juice over them. Sprinkle with mint. Serve.

No comments: