Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Few More Things I Ate and You Didn't

  • E made chili dogs for us on the weekend since I've never had one (veggie or not) before. I'd post a recipe, but basically it goes something like this: cook dog, insert into bun, slather in chili. The end.



  • I've mentioned several times about how geeked up I am that Tremont Scoops, the ice cream parlour just a few minutes walking-distance from my house, now serves vegan options, and yet somehow I've never remembered to post a pic (presumably because I can't control myself long enough to take a pic before devouring the chocolatey goodness). So here's their homemade vegan chocolate-chip ice cream sandwich in all its luxuriant glory. Word on the street (ok, word from Marianne) is that they now have mini vegan oreo-pies that I am *SO* hoping to snag sometime this week. Oh yes.



  • Apparently the Vegetarian Times is psychically in-tune with the fruits in my apartment that are about to go bad. Case in point: last week, I had three very very very ripe bananas. And it was so stinking hot that I had absolutely no urge to bake them into something useful. What to do? I happened to be flipping through VT, and they had freezer lunch-suggestions, one of which was to take three bananas and 3 T. orange juice (I also had a really old orange), toss it all into a food processor, and process. Pour into 2-4 containers, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and freeze. I thought, hey, there we go! A simple use for my almost-over-the-hill bananas. And holy crap--it sounds so simple, but boy oh boy was it tasty. All you have to do is take one of the cups out of the freezer in the morning and take it to work with you. By lunch, it's thawed just enough to make a slushy, icy-cold banana delicacy. And seriously--they are surprisingly good. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's nothing all that original--sort of just a frozen smoothy in a cup. But I surely am gonna keep more of these around this summer--perhaps I'll even cave and buy those $2.50 containers to make your own freezer pops and freeze them in there. They soothe the cranky heat, they're a nice natural boost of sugars, and they're damn tasty. Try 'em.

No comments: