Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pinto Bean Tacos

                                      from the Veg Times

Oh tacos. I love you, and that love for you is the bane of my existence. You are to blame for so many things:

#1: gas,

#2: me not getting laid that one time because my breath smelled after I ate many of you and then biked over N-A's afterward, breathing through my mouth the whole time and conjuring up the sour breath of the taco-gluttoned dead (the not getting laid part moreso being the result of me getting salty at being told my breath smelled than it was the fact that my breath actually smelled, though I STILL hold you responsible),

#3: more gas, and

#4: the time I caught some taco shells on fire in my broiler.

Nonetheless, you are my go-to food on days when I'm feeling too lazy to cook anything else. And for that I thank you.

Plus, you come in so many different shapes and forms that it is near impossible to ever be bored by you, and for someone who has the culinary attention span (and general attention span) of a 2-year old, that is a great thing.

Needless to say, for this reason alone, I was excited to stumble across mention of this version of you on someone's blog recently. Normally, as you know, I whip you up with just beans or with fake-meat. But sausage? How have we never thought of that?

The other brilliant thing about you, tacos, is that you're so simple to make and yet so yummy. Such was the case with this version of you as well. And not only did I like you this time, but N-A did too, loudly blurting, mouth half-full, Oh my god. These may be the best tacos I've ever had.

Hyperbole? Perhaps. But you WERE damn good. And I didn't even use cheez on you. I can only imagine how fantastique you'd be then. *Growr*

It seems unfair not to share my love for you with others, so that they may love you too.

So, dear readers. *tearing up* Meet Pinto Bean Tacos.

This is a day you will remember always. *Cue something from the soundtrack of Gray's Anatomy or Dawson's Creek*

(Note: I omitted several ingredients--red onions being one--so check out the link below for the original.)

INGREDIENTS:

  • 12 6-inch corn tortillas (I used crunchy)

  • 1 Tbs. canola oil

  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

  • 4 oz. soy chorizo sausage, such as Soyrizo

  • 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with chiles

  • 2 15-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained

  • 1 small avocado, sliced

  • 1/3 cup vegan Cheddar cheese (optional)

  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

DIRECTIONS

Heat up tortillas/shells according to package directions.

Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Crumble soy sausage into pan, and sautee until it's begun to brown. Stir in diced tomatoes, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Stir in beans, and cook 2 minutes more, or until beans are warmed through.

To assemble tacos: Fill tortillas/shells with some bean mixture. Top avocado, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with salsa and hot sauce, if desired.

Serves about 3.

(from The Veg Times)

No comments: