Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cold Sesame Noodles


                                    from BitterSweet


Yes, the Prodigal Daughter of Veganism has returned. (That's me. And also a joke. I'm not THAT egotistical.) Anyways, I left my Michfest program at home, and I'd like to be as specific as possible when I share all my foodiness and experiences with you this week, so I figured I'd wait to post about it until tomorrow. Today, I instead bring you a recipe. If you can believe it. That's true dedication: returning from four days in the woods WITH a recipe to share. BUDDA BLAM!!! TAKE THAT!

Anyways, I made this pre-Michfest for lunch a couple weeks ago. It looked tasty. As does mostly anything on Hannah's blog. And I, of course, was not disappointed. I actually will say that I liked this quite a bit more than the spicy peanut noodle recipe I tried from the Vegetarian Times ever so long ago. It's got kick, but it also has a nice roasty depth to it from the sesame seeds. And I like the use of tahini in it as well because it gives it a markedly distinct flavor. Plus, goddamn people, it's super fricking simple to make. So yeah: go make it. Preferably topless. You know, in the spirit of Michfest and all.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 7 - 8 oz. soba noodles or spaghetti

  • 1/3 c. Tahini

  • 3 T. soy sauce

  • 1 T. rice vinegar (or regular vinegar if you don't have rice handy)

  • 1/4 c. water

  • 1 garlic clove

  • 1/2" fresh ginger root

  • 1 t. brown sugar

  • 1/2 - 1 t. red pepper flakes

  • 1 carrot

  • 1 zucchini

  • 2 T. toasted sesame seeds

  • 2 T. chopped chives

DIRECTIONS

Cook the noodles as you normally would, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, vinegar, and water. Finely mince the garlic and ginger before stirring them in as well, along with the sugar and pepper. Dump the noodles into the bowl and toss them so that they’re all thoroughly coated with sauce.

Peel your carrot and julienne it, along with the zucchini, before tossing them into the bowl and mixing again.

Cover with plastic wrap and throw the whole thing into your refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.

It will last 2 or 3 days, but the sauce will become thicker/dryer as it grows older, so you may want to stir in extra water if that’s the case.

When you’re ready to eat, just sprinkle sesame seeds and fresh chives over the top. Done!

(Makes 4 Servings)

(Recipe from Hannah at BitterSweet)

No comments: