Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sacred Chow




Our last day in NYC, we got up early and wandered around neighboring Chinatown for a little bit. Once we had had enough of people pushing handbags on us ("HandbaghandbaghandbagGucciguccigucci"), we wandered over to our breakfast destination: Sacred Chow.

We ended up in that neck of the woods a tad bit too early, but thankfully the restaurant was only a block or so from Washington Square Park, so we just headed over there. Much to our delight, we discovered that the fountain was on, so we (or at least I) was able to swish my toes around in the delightfully butt-laden waters while a man nearby played quietly on his guitar and kids leapt from platform to platform, splashed at each other, and dunked their heads underwater.

Eventually, our hunger got the best of us, and we drifted back over to the restaurant to chow down. Seeing as the vegan breakfast-fare in Cleveland consists of nothing more eventful than the standard Tofu Scramble, I knew after seeing not one but half-a-dozen delectable breakfast options that I had no other choice but to order breakfast.

So I did. Along with 1500 other things to eat, simply because it was our last NYC meal, and simply because EVERYTHING LOOKED SO FRICKING GOOD.

I am sad to say that I'd never had a mimosa before, so that was first on the list.



Everything after that just fell into place:

Appetizer:

  • Root Vegetable Latkes (Pancakes) w/Indonesian Date Butter--delicious.


Breakfast:



  • Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich: their famous soy buttermilk biscuit filled w/tofu scramble, melted soy cheddar & tempeh bacon with the fruit of the day--best vegan cheez I've had... ooey and gooey and surprisingly authentic-tasting, and did I mention the biscuit? Holy crap. Flaky and buttery-tasting, a complete melt-in-your-mouth experience.


Desserts:


  • Cupcake: chocolate soycream-frosted vanilla cupcake w/sprinkles--I ordered this, and after E dropped it on the table and then I dropped it on the table (heh heh), I finally managed to get it into my mouth to find that it was moist and delicious with a rich sweet chocolate frosting.



  • Pound cake: Orange Chocolate Chip--E got the orange chocolate chip poundcake (as he's a huge fan of poundcake) and, though I'm not a huge fan myself, I had to try it anyways since I love all bakery fused with orange-flavoring, and DAMN was it good. Dense (like all good poundcakes) and brimming with citrus flavor.

All in all, it was the perfect end to the NYC trip--the waiter was nice and attentive, the place was very cute and cozy, and the food was out of this world.

So if you haven't figured it out yet, clearly I recommend.

Sacred Chow
227 Sullivan St. (between W. 3rd and Bleecker)
(212-337-0863)

Menu: HERE

No comments: