Wednesday, July 26, 2006

"Well, Orange You Chipper This Morning" Pancakes

(Get it? Get it? Orange=Aren't. Chipper=Chocolate chips. Stupid name for pancakes=my incredible lack of sleep last night.)

These panckaes were yumtastic and gave me a long overdue orange-chocolate fix on Sunday morning. They turned out with a nice light citrusy flavor which very suavely and discretely tempered the rich chocolatey gooeyness, keeping the pancakes from feeling too heavy.

E said that, out of all the pancakes I've cooked for him, they were definitely his favorite. So there.


Dry ingredients:

3/4 c. white flour
1/2 c. wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon

Wet ingredients:

2 T canola oil
1/3 c. water
1 c. soy milk
1 t. vanilla
2 T. maple syrup
2 t. orange zest

Vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (a handful or two)


Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix all the wet in another. Add the wet to the dry. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Cook in a nice hot pan like you do with pancakes. If you need me to explain how to cook a pancake, I may have to hit you over the head with the aforementioned pan (though I'll be nice and wait until it cools off first).

Makes 4 large pancakes or 8 small (I'd suggest doubling the recipe if you're trying to feed two people, but that's mainly just because I am a pancake ho.)

The pancakes in this picture are naked--they've not yet been dressed up with syrup. So try not to give them a complex about their body image, will ya?

1 comment:

B L Brown said...

Instead of syrup try drizziling the pancakes with fresh OJ