Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Blueberry and Pear Pancakes w/ Baby-Vomit Syrup


Upon realizing Saturday night that I had a plentiful amount of left-over blueberries, I decided that I'd cook something with them for breakfast Sunday morning. I tossed around the idea of making some sort of blueberry french toast with the leftover Peasant bread that E had made, and then I contemplated pancakes, and then I contemplated crepes, which is what I finally settled on.

I mixed the batter (using the recipe from The Garden of Vegan) and let it sit in the fridge for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, I scooped out half of my container of Tofutti "cream cheese," added 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and a couple tablespoons of soy milk, whipped it all together, and set it aside to drizzle on the crepes. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that something was off with the crepe recipe once I started cooking them. I have never ever ever had problems cooking crepes, and I've cooked them numerous times, but something was just not right. They weren't firming up, I was having a difficult time flipping them, and they were weirdly mushy and gelatinous.

So after three attempts, I cussed to myself and gave up. I decided to just make some pancakes instead, using the blueberry pancake recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. I also realized that I had one very overripe pear awaiting my use, so I set aside enough batter for about two pancakes before throwing the blueberries into the mix. In the reserved pancake batter, I threw the diced up chunks of pear.

Measuring stuff out is sometimes useful--I must remember this, seeing as I put way too many blueberries into the mix and it looked like crazy insane blueberry time in my kitchen. After eating them, E's tongue looked like he had just downed a few shots of pure blue ink, which made me laugh. Thankfully, they still tasted really good. As for the pear pancakes, holy mother of god was the combination of the slightly salty batter and the sweet sweet pears really damn good. However, the pears were too soggy, and they left the pancakes a bit soggy themselves. That and they kept trying to liberate themselves from the pancakes when I flipped them, so if you're gonna go the pear-route, aim for shredding them or just throwing them on top of some plain pancakes.

As you can see from the picture, I ended up topping the pancakes with baby-vomit... er, I mean, the cream-cheesey maple concoction. It was tasty, but nothing to get your panties in a bunch about--it definitely was moreso suited for crepes than pancakes, but ah well.

As always, I recommend the pancake recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance as I use it quite often, and (despite my infinite variations--chocolate chips, arghlghlghlghl) it never fails to please.

No comments: