Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Hot Like Your Ass in That Dress" Penne Pasta**


I've had a big fat woody for pasta lately. Actually, I've had a big fat woody for a LOT of weird things lately for some reason. People. Places. Things. Art Brut. Yesterday, for example, I attended a little Rape Crisis Center award-ceremony with my mum (she got recognized for her work as a volunteer, so a big exuberant shout-out to my bad-ass motha), and I found myself wanting to go over and bat my eyelashes at one of their advocacy folks, mostly just because when he smiled, he had some cutely weird and fucked up teeth. (It's no wonder I've become absolutely smitten with Diane Arbus in the past month. *sigh*)

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah! Vaginas! Oh wait. No. Pasta. That's right.

I've been craving pasta constantly lately, and I happened to be flipping through an old issue of the VT and saw this. And despite the fact that it was a goat cheese recipe, its fieriness sounded really attractive to me at that moment. So I thought to myself, fuck it. I'll just try subbing in cream cheese in its place. And of course I'm sure it only loosely resembles the taste of the original recipe, but it was quite good nonetheless, especially with some freshly-ground pepper sprinkled all over it (and perhaps a bit of diced avocado sprinkled on it as well). It's got a pretty decent kick though, so all of you spiciness pansies may wanna use the smallest chipotle you can find. *COUpansies!GH*

INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz. penne pasta

  • 1 dried chipotle chile, soaked in hot water 10 minutes, or 1 chile from 4-oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

  • 1 T. olive oil*

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 t.) *

  • 1/2 c. vegan cream cheese*

  • 1/3 c. water

  • 1/3 c. chopped cilantro

  • 2 c. halved cherry tomatoes

  • 2 c. fresh or frozen *couorcannedgh* corn kernels

  • Optional: A bit of diced avocado

DIRECTIONS

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, remove seeds from chipotle chile and finely chop.

Heat 1 T. oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add chile and garlic, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant.

Stir in cream cheese and 1/3 cup water, whisk until smooth, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until heated through, stirring constantly. Simmer 2 minutes more, then remove from heat and add cilantro.

Drain pasta, and return to pot. Add tomatoes, corn and cream cheese sauce.

Season to taste with salt and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper, and transfer to warm serving bowl. Top with avocado if you so choose.

(Original recipe from the Vegetarian Times)

----------
* Represent changes from the original recipe
** Seriously, VT: if you'd like to start paying me to name your recipes more creatively, I'm all over that.

No comments: