Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Slow Cooker Vegetable Vindaloo


Oh what to say about vindaloo and slow-cookers? What to say what to say?

Well, I *can* say that I've been enjoying dabbling with my slow-cooker (wow--I can't even get out perfectly benign sentences without them sounding somewhat pervy) thanks to E who very kindly donated it to me when he moved. In one respect, I don't quite *get* the point of the slow-cooker: why take 8 hours to cook something when you could cook it in less than 2? (I know, I know--you don't have to keep an eye on that, you can leave the house, etc. etc., but STILL...) In another respect, I like using it simply for the fact that it makes me want to waddle around the kitchen with an apron and some tow-headed kids scrapping around my knees while I try to cook. It makes me feel all Julia Childlike and shit.




As for the recipe, it's quite good. I just realized that I forgot to throw in the cilantro, so I'll be doing so with the leftovers tonight, and I also think I may have used too much ginger powder (so I cut down on the quantity here), but nonetheless: worth trying out. It is *beyond* easy, and it's the perfect type of food to be whipping up when the thermometer is wobbling around the 15-degree mark...


INGREDIENTS:

  • 6 c. cauliflower florets

  • 2 15.5-oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained

  • 2 large leeks, white and light green parts sliced into 1-inch pieces (1.5 c.)

  • 1 c. tomato sauce

  • 1/4 c. water

  • 1/4 c. vinegar (or white wine vinegar)

  • 2 t. ginger powder (or 2 T. minced fresh ginger)

  • 2 T. curry powder

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

  • 2 t. ground cumin

  • 1 t. ground cinnamon

  • 1 t. red pepper sauce, like Tabasco

  • 3 T. chopped cilantro

  • 3 c. cooked basmati rice

DIRECTIONS

Combined cauliflower, chickpeas, leeks, tomato sauce, vinegar, ginger, curry powder, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper sauce, and water in a 4-qt. slow-cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on hight 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Transfer Vindaloo to large bowl, and cool 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro, and serve over basmati rice.

(Serves 8)

(Original recipe from the Jan./Feb. 2008 issue of The Vegetarian Times, p. 37)

No comments: