Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Southwestern Black Bean Potato Salad


I cooked out this weekend for the 4th of July. And because I am patriotic, I did so while wearing a large man-diaper made out of an American flag and a necklace sculpted from the bones of Iraqi terrorists. It was quite a sight to behold. Patriotism at its best, one might say.

Between stereotyping anyone with dark skin as a potential terrorist, pasting my new I HEART GEORGE W. sticker on my car, and ripping off the head of a chicken with my bare teeth, I *ALSO* found time to whip up some of Susan V's delicious numblies, and damn if they weren't good!

If potato salad were a lover, and I was going to make sweet sweet love to it, I'd want it dressed in exactly this potato-y lingerie. Fiery red tomato bustier. Black bean pasties. Garters held up by golden gems of corn. And a sweet damp moistness, trickling its way down the side of its bowl.

Hot sexy patriotic potatoes at their motherf-ing best, my friends.

Oh, and not only does it LOOK sexy, it tastes sexy too, with just the right amount of chipotle to get you a little bit sweaty.

Because as you know and as I know, 4th of July is *ALL* about sweet hot patriotic potato sex.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 egg's worth of egg replacer (prepared according to the box's directions)

  • 2 pounds small red potatoes

  • 1 c. fresh, frozen, or canned corn kernels

  • 1/2 c. finely chopped red pepper

  • 1/2 c. chopped green onions

  • Two 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups cooked beans)

  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped

  • 1 large tomato, chopped

  • 1 -2 T. chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped

  • 1/4 c. fresh lime juice

  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced

  • 3/4 t. salt

  • 1/2 t. ground cumin

  • 1/4 t. chili powder

  • 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Whip up your egg replacer according to the directions on the box--whip with a whisk until frothy and set aside.

Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool. Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch cubes. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add corn, red pepper, onions, black beans (rinsed and drained very thoroughly), jalapeño pepper, and tomatoes and mix well.

Remove 1 chipotle chile from can. Chop chile to measure 1 to 2 tablespoons. (Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use--I like to mince them and freeze them in ice cube trays.) Combine chopped chipotle chile, egg replacer, lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle the lime juice mixture over potato mixture, and toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, stirring every now and then. Taste and add more lime juice as needed before serving atop mixed greens, if desired.

(Obviously the only thing I changed on the recipe was the flax-seed/water mixture, since I didn't have flax seed. I subbed in 1 egg's worth of egg-replacer instead.)

(about 5-6 servings)

(Recipe from the FatFree Vegan Kitchen)

No comments: