Monday, July 02, 2007

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars


This weekend was a good weekend of cookery. But the definite standout as recipes went this weekend was this chocolate-pb rice krispies treat recipe I just happened to stumble across on Thursday. Holy crap.

I am not even kidding you about how good these things are. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to be *BAD* per se, but they're so damn easy and uncomplicated that I didn't expect them to make me quite so tingly in my nether-parts. And what's doubly-awesome about them is that they won't heat up your kitchen since the only cooking you have to do is to heat up a mixture of brown rice syrup and sugar. How f-ing cool is that? Oh, and they totally totally have the delightfully chewy consistency of real rice krispie treats, and without the horses' hooves!

Seriously: If Jesus was about to die for all our sins, and they had given Him one of these babies right before, I'm sure He would've been like, "Wait a goddamn minute here! I ain't dying for NO one's sins until I shovel down a few more of these here little chocolate chunks o' heaven!"

Other (non-sacrilegious) rave reviews:

"oh man, these are effin good!"

"if i were the kind of person who said this type of thing, i would say: those are to die for."

"these are my new fave treats of yours. why? no super sweet but yummy."

"WWJD? He would cow down on these rice krispie treats!" (Ok, that was me again, clearly, but it's true. IT'S TRUE!)

So yes: get thee to some Rice Krispies. So sayeth the Lord.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 c. sugar

  • 1 c. corn syrup or brown rice syrup (I used brown rice syrup)

  • 1 c. peanut butter

  • 6 c. Rice Krispies or puffed rice cereal of your choice

  • 2 c. vegan chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

DIRECTIONS

In a small saucepan on med. heat, mix together the sugar and syrup until hot and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter; stir in together until well mixed. In a large bowl, add the puffed rice and chips. Stir in the peanut butter mixture and mix together well. Pour mixture into a 9x13 or 8x14 pan, press flat, and let cool for 1 hour before cutting into squares.

Made about 20 decent-sized treats.

(Recipe from Monkey Eat Food)

2 comments:

Kim said...

OMG. I tried these today and they are LEGIT. I LOVE YOU FOR POSTING THIS RECIPE <3333

Anonymous said...

♥ Vegan!