Friday, May 12, 2006

Pizza Stuffs



This Friday, since I was flying solo (long story involving arrests, bombed Mother's Day plans, dogs in tu-tus--ok, not the last one, but the rest), I decided to whip up some pizza.

I used a corn meal crust recipe from Vegetarian Kitchen--their standard crust recipe is typically my crust of choice but I wanted to try something different this time. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the dough didn't rise like it should've, making it way too cardboardy and flat upon baking. It also was one of the most flavorless crusts I've had (barring the time that I forgot to put salt in the crust, which was a virtual disaster of blandness).

Nonetheless, I forged on. I made some homemade pizza sauce and organized my toppings. Making a pizza is fairly easy, so to challenge myself, I decide to make a half-and-halfer. On one half, I went with spinach, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and the melty white cheese recipe (you can find it HERE) from The Nutritional Yeast Cookbook. On the other side, I tossed on crumbled tofu, roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, and toasted pine nuts (later topping it off with a bit of creamy, dreamy avocado).

I was not at all bowled over by the spinach side. It was bland and boring and could've used much improvement. Despite the dull crust, the roasted red pepper side was *much* better than the other. I definitely would try this topping out again, perhaps tossing in a bit of jalapeno peppers or something for a little kick.

All in all...

VERDICT: C

(And apparently I've forgotten to bring the pictures. Will post tomorrow.)

(PSS. If anyone has any pizza-sauce recipes they recommend, please post them in my comments section if you don't mind sharing--I could definitely use a more consistently dependable recipe...)

No comments: