(Alas, shepherd's pie is not quite the pin-up
when it comes to being photographed)
Finally perfected my shepherd's pie recipe. Can't stop eating it. Belly. About. To. Explode.
Happy fall cooking, everyone!
- 10-12 small yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 c. - 1 c. plain soy/rice milk
- 1/4 c. Earth Balance vegan margarine + 3 T. more vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, diced
- Large container of white mushrooms (12 oz?), quartered
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 1 c. diced baby carrots
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 t. dried thyme
- 2 15-oz cans of lentils, drained
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. plain soy/rice milk
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- A few vigorous dashes of sage powder
Boil your potatoes until tender. Mash with 1/4 c. vegan margarine and 1/2 c. to 1 c. soy/rice milk, depending on how whipped you like your mashed potatoes.
While the potatoes are boiling, melt your remaining 3 T. margarine in a large pot. Add your onions and cook until they start getting translucent and then add your mushrooms, carrots, and celery and saute until the mushrooms start darkening. Add your garlic and cook a minute or two longer, until the garlic is aromatic. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for a minute or two longer.
Add the remaining filling ingredients. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and set aside.
Line a 9x13 casserole with your mashed potatoes, spreading up the sides. Pour in the gravy and veggies. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 40 to 50 minutes.
Serves a whole helluva lot, if you can make yourself stop eating.