Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Like Jumping Out of the Closet at 3am WITH Choco-Blueberry Muffins

Even though some of you may think it sucks that I've stopped posting regularly (I'm having a bout of lazy, what can I say?), you should actually be excited. 'Cause now when I post, it'll be a surprise, kind of like when your kid brother jumps out of the closet at you at like 3 in the morning when you're groggily going to take a leak and you about have a fucking heart attack. Except better.

So there.

Anyways, since I last posted, I've made quite a few more recipes from Vegan Brunch and concluded that Vegan Brunch is hands down my favorite Isa cookbook. I love Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance too, of course. All three are the cookbooks I use most regularly. But Vegan Brunch: Jesus. It's blowing my fucking MIND with the quality of the recipes. AND the ease. I think that's what I've been digging too. All the ones I've made so far have been SO EASY but taste mind-blowing despite that: particularly the broccoli quiche (stay tuned) and the omelets.

The only thing I've made that I really really didn't like thus far (and I think it might be partially that my oregano was so oregano-y and potent and crunchy) was the Scrambled Tortillas, which I was really surprised about 'cause I thought for SURE I'd love them. But *looking around to make sure no one else is listening* I actually ended up throwing these away. (I know I know--I don't like to waste food at all, but something was so gross about them that I couldn't eat them; truly though, I suspect my oregano):




On the yummy front though, I tried out the coffee chip muffins, but with changes that made them not coffee at all. (I cheated. I wanted to make blueberry chocolate chip muffins for ye lil' intern of mine, so I decided to tweak them to that instead, and they came out really well actually). I've posted a link to a copy of the original recipe that someone posted, but the one below is my tweaked version (with changes from the original asterisked).

I *do* plan to try out the original at some point as well, if I ever have instant coffee on me (which means never--who drinks instant coffee?!?! Blorf).


Choco-Blueberry Chip Muffins



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 c. almond milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)

  • 1 T. cocoa powder*

  • 1 t. apple cider vinegar

  • 2 c. all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 c. sugar

  • 1 T. baking powder

  • 1/2 t. salt

  • 1/2 c. canola oil

  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract

  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips

  • 3/4 to 1 c. frozen blueberries*

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375-F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.

In a large measuring cup, measure out 1/2 cup of milk. Stir in the cocoa and mix to dissolve. Stir in the rest of the milk and the vinegar and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk mixture, oil, and vanilla. Mix together until the batter is just moistened, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and blueberries.

Use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the muffin tin, filling it about three-quarters full. Bake for 22-26 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted through the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool a but until you can remove the muffins and transfer them to cooling racks to cool the rest of the way.

(Original coffee chip muffin recipe posted at When in Doubt... Leave it at 350, from Vegan Brunch)

No comments: