Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chipotle Chili With Sweet Potatoes And Brussel Sprouts

                                       from the ppk


There is something shit-tastic about the brand of crushed tomatoes I've been buying. There HAS to be. 'Cause this is the second chili recipe that I've whipped up that's BOMBED*. And there's NO WAY. There's just no way. I can see one of them sucking because of a random disgusting thick tomatoeyness. But TWO?? For the EXACT SAME REASON?? It's GOT to be the brand of crushed tomatoes. Seriously.

But what a bummer. Because I really liked the flavor of brussel sprouts mingling with sweet taters and tomato. And I really think that this HAS to be a yummy recipe. And yet, BLORF. Brought it for lunch on Monday, heated it up, took a few bites and was like Why God Why?!?! The brussel sprouts were great. The yams (I subbed) were great. I fucked up and bought poblanos instead of chipotles (I had just finished up dicing up THREE huge poblanos and was thinking, My--this is a LOT of peppers, and then, as I was scraping them off the cutting board into the pot my brain was suddenly all NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOthoseare
poblanosnotchipotlesyoudumbmotherfucker but too late), but even THOSE tasted fine. But the tomatoes. Egads. Like a tomatoey version of caulking or something: Thick. Unappetizing. Overwhelming. Just nasty.

I passed some of the chili along to my friend QBL for a second opinion, so we'll see if she never shows up at work today because of Death by Disgusting Chili or something. But man alive. How disappointing. 'Cause I try not to be a food waster, but even the THOUGHT of forcing myself to eat this chili the rest of the week makes me want to weep and never stop. So it's surely going to be a case of Mr. Trashcan meet Ms. Disgusting Chili.

NONETHELESS: I pass along the recipe, because I really DO believe that it's probably a good one. If my tomatoes didn't suck. But that's what I get for being cheap. From now on: The most expensive crushed tomatoes I can find, goddammit!

----------
*The first one, which was this one, I never posted about because it was SO terrible that I was suspicious that something weird was going and didn't want to sound like I was dissing the recipe when I was pretty certain that it wasn't the fault of the recipe itself.



INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 T. olive oil

  • 1 red onion, diced

  • 4 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed (or I subbed in like 1 t. of coriander powder)

  • 2 t. dried oregano

  • 3 chipotles, seeded and chopped

  • 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 average sized), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces

  • 12 oz brussels sprouts, quartered lengthwise (about 2 cups)

  • 2 t. ground cumin

  • 3 t. new mexico chili powder (or other mild chili powder)

  • 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes

  • 1 c. water

  • 1 16-oz can pintos, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 c.)

  • 1 1/2 t. salt

  • Fresh lime juice to taste (about one lime was good for me)

DIRECTIONS

In a soup pot over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil for about 7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, coriander seeds, and oregano and saute a minute more. Add remaining ingredients (except for lime juice). Mix well. The sweet potatoes and brussel sprout will be peaking out of the tomato sauce, but don't worry, they will cook down.

Cover pot and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for about half an hour, stirring often, until sweet potatoes and fork tender but not mushy.

Squeeze in lime juice to taste and adjust any other seasonings. Let sit uncovered for at least 10 minutes before eating.

Serves 6 to 8

(Recipe from the ppk)

No comments: