Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Cheap Slut

I am a slut for cheap things. I dumpster dive with the best of them. I've gotten a lot of really good furniture this way. And I consider it my own personal Lindy Loo recycling program.

One of the weirdest things I've dumpster-dived within the last couple of years is this:



I try not to accrue too much needless clutter. *Waiting as we all catch our breath from insane bouts of laughter* Ok. Yeah, I'm kind of a pack-rat. *BUT* this week I've actually been going from room to room in my house, cleaning the hell out of shit. Throwing shit away by the droves. And packing shit up to garage sale sometime soon.

But yeah, I was walking down the street in my neighborhood one day and I passed this sandbox. I thought to myself, I wonder if my cats might like that for the roof. And then I continued on. When I passed it again on my way back, I figured, wtf. Might as well grab it, toss it on the roof, see if they like it. If not, all I'd end up doing is returning it right back to where it was: the garbage. And hopefully some OTHER lucky folks would pick it up to use. (The fun part was dragging it past the outdoor seating of the upscale restaurant at the end of my street--hee hee.)

And long story long, my cats love this thing. When it's hot out, they lay under the lid (as you can see below), at least until they suddenly realize that the sun has turned the lid into an oven, and then suddenly they'll come bolting out from underneath it into the house. They also can pretend to stalk birds or squirrels from under there, and sometimes they sit in the actual sandbox and act like the birds couldn't POSSIBLY see them in all their camouflaged glory. It's great. Zooey (who you can see in the pictures below) actually got really upset one day when it blew off my roof. I couldn't figure out why she kept running to the window and then running around the living room and then running back to the window and then getting hiccupy when I came over there. Apparently she was very upset that her lady bug had taken a windy nose-dive into my neighbor's yard. Ha ha ha.

So yeah: being a slut for cheap things often works out well.




For obvious reasons, I am also a slut for free-shipping.

Which is why, after all that, I bring you a link to a shop I just stumbled across while trying to hunt down flaxseed oil capsules. And that's

THRIFTY VEGAN


Thrifty Vegan is apparently a family-owned vegan business that sells vitamins and supplements. And the thing is ALL THEIR SHIPPING IS FREE!!! (And they don't seem to have boosted their prices to allow for this.) And seriously, when you just need one bottle of flaxseed oil capsules, and everywhere else is charging you $4+ in shipping to send out one measly bottle, this is DEFINITELY a welcome sight.

So go check it out. And buy something. Buy many somethings! The shipping's free, and you'll be supporting a small family-owned business, so why the hell not??

No comments: