Thursday, March 15, 2007

You Will Eat Your Veggies, and You Will Like Them!


Along with the peanut butter stuffed peppers and the peanut butter-chocolate cheesecake this past weekend, I was tempted to pimp out my asparagus by adapting the peanut-buttery green-bean recipe from the April 2007 VegNews as well, but then I had a moment of clarity and thought to myself, Seriously, Lindy Loo, there *IS* such a thing as overkill. (Plus, I didn't wanna be held responsible for blocking my fella's arteries.) So instead I whipped these up.

As always, I'll take broiled asparagus over steamed ANY day. And this weekend was no different. Except this time I decided to toss in a few added flavorings to the mix.

End result: intriguing. The soy sauce and sesame flavoring worked well with the asparagus. Perhaps not the best side for a meal filled with peanut butter. But then really, what is? Other than a giant peanut? Mmmmm. Giant peanuts. ARGHLGHLGHLGHL.

SIMPLE SESAME ASPARAGUS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 T. sesame oil

  • 1 T. soy sauce

  • 1/2 to 1 T. sesame seeds

  • 1 bunch of asparagus

DIRECTIONS
Prep your asparagus by rinsing and snapping off the bottoms. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the sesame oil and soy sauce on top. Let marinate for about 30 minutes at least, stirring it around every once in a while. Turn on your broiler. Spread the asparagus across a baking sheet. Place in the broiler until it's starting to darken and it's almost cooked all the way through (about 5 minutes or so). Remove and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Return to the broiler for just a minute or two (keep your eye on it because the sesame seeds will darken and burn very quickly). Remove and chow down.

No comments: