Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Post-Thanksgiving Stupor






The day after Thanksgiving, E and I have always made it a habit to do our *OWN* little Thanksgiving, that way we can enjoy the holiday, each others' company, and fricking amazing food without the stress of family or traveling around to visit them. This year was no different. However, for the first time in a couple years, we actually managed to show a bit of restraint as to what we cooked. (Last year, we made a *RIDICULOUS* amount of food for only two people--tofurky, potatoes, green-bean casserole, biscuits, extra stuffing, dumplings, etc.) And given the fact that I'd cooked several dishes for my mom's the day before, I laid low this time around and didn't do much of anything except basting our sweet little plump football of a Tofurky.

(I heart basting.)

I enjoyed every bit of the meal, including the Tofurky, despite the fact that for some reason, this year it seemed to make a weird squeegee rubbery noise and sensation when you chewed on it. (Haven't quite figured *THAT* one out yet.) I even managed to wrangle up a nice new vegan wine for us to try out (and it was only $10)!

For those of you who are wine enthusiasts (or just plain ol' like to booze it up on occasion), check out the Orleans Hill Zinfandel--even for my amateur nose and tastebuds, I could tell it was quite good for a $10 bottle--smooth, a bit peppery, and not harsh at all (look, Ma, no extra sulfites!). I definitely think this'll be a new favorite, and I'm gonna have to get my ass back to Nature's Bin so I can try the Merlot as well sometime.

The highlights of the night were definitely the cranberry sauce (which was tart--and yet not TOO tart--and sweet--and yet not TOO sweet) and E's Rosemary and Hazelnut-Encrusted Seitan which, seriously folks, if you only heed one word of advice from me, let it be this: Make this recipe. Eat this recipe. Try not to die of ecstasy. Seriously. I think it may be my favorite dish that E makes. It's that good. Oh, and yes, I'm an absolute sucker for the Cranberry Apple Potato Dumplings that come with the Tofurky kit as well--they are, to me, orgasmatronic to the nth degree. Especially topped with E's cranberry sauce. Mmmmm mmmm.

But anyways, blah dee blee. Food. Good. Warm. Tummy. Bulging. Pants. No more belts. Recipe. E's super-simple cranberry sauce. You. Read.

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 c. water

  • 1/4 c. orange juice

  • 3/4 c. sugar

  • 2-2 1/4 c. cranberries, rinsed

DIRECTIONS
Put water, OJ, and sugar in a small pot. Boil for 5 minutes. Add cranberries. Return to a boil, lower heat, simmer for 5 minutes.

How fricking simple is that?

1 comment:

Send Flowers to UAE said...

I really liked your article. Keep up the good work.