Sunday, October 02, 2011

Soup Season, I Want to Snog Your Face Off!!!



Right now, I have some sort of bastardy cold-slash-sinus-infection-slash-allergy thing going on, courtesy of the sudden chilly weather. And yet, I still blissfully proclaim: I LOVE YOU, FALL! Hoodies and crunchy leaves and autumn clouds and snuggling with the cats under mounds of blankets and stumbling across a bit of romance and car rides through the metroparks and Halloween and zombie flicks and soup soup and more soup. How can you not love fall?

So, to ring in these first few days of chilly, keep-your-windows-closed-and-snuggle-up-under-blankets-while-reading-The-Exorcist-and-watching-horror-movies weather, I whipped up the Ceci-Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Appetite for Reduction. It is beautifully autumnal in color and will fill your house with the delicious warming aroma of roasting red peppers. The flavors will also definitely please; it's a very aromatic recipe, despite the rather simple assortment of ingredients. And it makes for a fantastic soup for dipping bread. My only complaint is that I find rosemary and/or thyme in soup to be a slightly misguided choice. I love the flavor, but I absolutely hate picking tiny pieces of woody spices out of my teeth, especially in an otherwise velvety soup. I even tried chopping up the rosemary, but still: a bit too woody.

Nonetheless, it's a good recipe and an easy one, and it will definitely bring a smile to your autumnal pallet. Unfortunately no one has posted the recipe online quite yet, so for now, you'll have to track down the cookbook to try it out. But I promise you, it's worth spending the $10/$15 bucks on it. Promise.

10 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Autumn is my favorite season for food! So many roasted veggies and soups! It is wonderful! Yours looks great! :)

Anonymous said...

just discovered your blog. hilarious! this soup looks and sounds delicious. i'll have to track down the recipe.

GiGi said...

Hope you feel better. The soup looks delish, but you realy don't think that the rosemary in it is worth flossing over?

Dan Wekselgreene said...

The bouquet garni method (tie the herbs up whole with a string and then remove them at the end) might work here... or does it only work in broth soup?

Mel said...

Have been reading your blog for a while which never fails to bring a smile to my face so thanks heaps for your hilarious words. I made this soup recently too and really enjoyed the flavours, the rosemary didn't bother me as I blended the crap out of the soup so it broke down a lot.

Lisa Viger said...

Soup season is excellent!

SaraJane said...

The best thing ever for colds that I have only recently discovered - hot water with lemon juice and a dash of cayenne with a bit of agave nectar to sweeten it. It'll get that crap all cleared up and it's strangely addictive. In the meantime, keep posting about yummy soups! I love that about fall!

Anonymous said...

i love fall! and soup! and that cookbook! thanks for the heads up about the woody herbs in the soup. if i make it, i will just add whole stems of them and then remove them when it's ready to eat.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Omigoodness! I must try that soup!

Aline said...

That soup sounds so yummy that now I've got to try it. Gonna put the rosemary and thyme through the spice mill first, however. Then eat it watching "The Innocents" on Netflix--mwah ha ha ha.